Saturday, November 8, 2008

A Post-Election Message from Joe Garcia


My family and I are deeply humbled by the overwhelming outcry of support we have received from our community.

Almost a year ago, we began a conversation with South Florida about the issues affecting our families. We walked dozens of neighborhoods, knocked on tens of thousands of doors and listened to countless of stories. The one thing that remained consistent all throughout this long journey, and which never ceased to amaze me, was the decency of the people of South Florida.

So many of you opened your homes, welcomed us in and made us a part of your family. I will never forget the people I met along the way who touched my life and inspired me every step of the way. People like Pablo, a single dad from Miami Lakes, who worked hard and played by the rules, but still couldn't afford healthcare for his seven year-old son. Or folks like the man from Kendall who invited us into his home and had a picturesque family, but was on the verge of losing his house.

Your stories became my stories and your struggles converged with mine -- and I will always fight for you and stand up for our families.

We always said this campaign was more than just about winning an election. It was about moving South Florida forward and creating a vehicle for your hopes and dreams Although we may not have won on election night, our campaign accomplished what so many thought was impossible in South Florida: we spoke about the issues that affect all of our lives, free of the demagoguery that had characterized our politics for far too long. We could not have done this without you.

Our work is far from finished. In fact, it has just begun. I will never forget you.

Thank you so much for everything you have done and for changing my life.

Your friend,

Joe Garcia